Monday, May 12, 2008

Working in America

Working in corporate America left me just a tad bit disillusioned. Don’t get me wrong O, the pay was great. I was making twice what I needed to be comfortable. In other words, after I paid tithe, rent, car loan, electricity, heat, phone and internet bill, fed the household and put 10% of my salary in my savings account, I still had half of my salary to play with. But its called disposable income for a reason —something always disposes you of your money. It could be something as minor as Sunday lunch at a Thai restaurant or the last $5 Tee in your size at Gap. On the other hand, it could be something major like a car breakdown, a trip to California or a friend in dire need.

The pay was great but my bubble burst when I realized that money comes, money goes, and all this while I was living someone else’s dream. I was dancing to the tune of expectations and assumptions and did not stop to check if the shoe fits. I didn't stop to see if it was to my taste, my style and true to my person. I just wanted it because it was the fad. It was practical and it was comfortable. But it was not me.

9 comments:

  1. Glad for you that you found it was not you......hope u find what you want/need.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually,most of the people that came back from America have always told the stories of how they lived pay check-to-pay check.
    They made the money but it all goes to pay their bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true, i think the best way to deal with it is to put an extra 10/20% into the nigeria stock exchange or into a project in naija, that way you have something to focus on.

    but if the job doesn't fit it just won't do

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets to a point when a lot of us in the US examine our lives introspectively like you did, but most of us can not learn a new dance so we continue to dance " to the tune and expectations" of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ibiluv: A big AMEN. thanks!
    @nigeriansummit: yes American is the land of bills, bills, bills. it takes discipline to save
    @dami,yes,investment, savings is important but very difficult if one's pay isn't high
    @bayo,so true, so true. God help us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so what really happened? why did you quit on the american dream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anyaposh, very good question. I never fully signed up for the american dream...I'll post more on this though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nneoma, I'm still trying to figure that out, will keep y'all posted!

    ReplyDelete